Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Walk In Sefton Park And Other Places - 1968


Before I was born
The grass grew without objection
and a few swans swam there
The hothouse remained hot and the flowers grew strong
Before I was born
that's where they belong
Now, idly trampling on the unplastic grass
Where flowers need light and water and don't
melt if placed in the sun,
leaving only a price ticket behind.

Sometimes I forget it's Liverpool
until a foghorn gently reminds me
Today I passsed many lives in the street
with the maddening pace of bunioned feet
All trying to make their ends meet
My ends have never met yet my sweet

Dressed in the grey clothes of a November dawn
I find myself thinking how good it all is
The sludge, the mud and the snow..
I wonder...
how many tigers roam in Calderstones?

Then slowly, but smoothly
The Mersey bursts her banks
and the Wirral disappears
saluting into the night and..
Once more fighting breaks out between the Irish and the Welsh

Tall and grey and pregnant with people
The Liver Building frowns upon its children
Tomorrow waits in the wings until
The Royal Court re-opens for the seventh and again...
final time - The Beatles promise to buy the Cavern
and play there every night
Gone are the days of Freddie Star and Roger Hunt,
Lennon's lazy, McCartney's a _______broad somewhere
in isolated unhappiness and is
still wondering what happened
Cill takes her pill at the Phil with her gin
and they've taken "Police" off the doors of the cars
"The plain clothes look"

Yet still at 4 a.m. after a heavy night
and an unsuccessful relationship
with a 20 year old one eyed bird
from Barbados
I find myself
Loving the leaves/andthetrees/that I've grown to know/
along with the dogs/in Sefton Park/my heart sings out/Iwannashout/
"LIVERPOOL! I LOVE YOU SO!"

No comments: